Happy Monday friends and start of summer.
Are you a pearl owner? Maybe you own one or more pieces of pearl jewellery. Do you know how to keep them looking like new? Well, have a read even if you already take good care of your pearls as you may find out something new.
1) You should keep your pearls separate from other pieces of jewellery as they may scratch the pearls and preferably wrap them in a soft pouch. Make sure they are not stored in an airtight box, If the environment is too dry, your pearls will crack. They need moisture, so if you think it is potentially to hot and dry then you can leave a damp cloth nearby. Also I don’t recommend hanging pearl necklaces or bracelets as this may weaken the stringing.
2) You should wear your pearls often. Remember they were grown in the water and so benefit for absorbing naturally secreting oils from your skin.
3) Pearls should be the last item you put on and the first item you take off. Before putting your pearls away give them a gentle wipe with a soft cloth to remove perfume, excess oils and any dirt that may have gathered.
4) Keep your pearls away from chemicals (chlorine, bleach, hydrogen peroxide, ammonia, hairspray, perfume, cosmetics etc.) as they will damage the surface of the pearl!
5) Do not exercise wearing pearls especially swimming! Do not wear pearls in the shower or submerge them in water. The chlorine in the water may damage the pearls but can also weaken the pearls connection to its setting and if silk thread is used it may cause it to stretch and/or snap.
6) Restring your pearls often. If you do wear your pearls weekly then I recommend every year. If you wear them less, then just keep an eye on the string every two to three years.
Well my friends, you are now equipped with all you need to know on how to keep your pearls looking their best forever! If you have any other extra tips, please do share below (I love learning new tips)!
I will be back next week with some more jewellery chat. If you can’t wait and would like to connect frequently then please do follow me on IG here, or why not join my FB group ‘For the love of jewellery with Katrina Lucas’. If you would like to be the first to hear about any offers I have or new collections coming out then please do sign up for my newsletter (bottom of page).
Until next week, stay safe, keep communicating and always sparkle!